Have You Checked Out "Dear Reader" Yet?!?

Have you ever wanted to join a book club, but just can’t find the time? I can’t attend book clubs during the day because I work. I can’t attend book clubs during the evening after work because of responsibilities at home!

Have you read every book by your favorite author, and want to find other books that interest you, but have no idea what other author writes books you might want to read? Do you hate checking out a book from the library and, after reading a few pages, you realize you just can’t get into the book?

Through the Bossier Parish Library website, I found solutions to these problems – a FREE online book club called Dear Reader! You can choose from several different genres of books, including: fiction, nonfiction, teen, business, romance, science fiction, mystery, thriller, audio, and classics. Dear Reader offers something for everyone! It is a great way to discover new authors that write books you want to read. There is even a Book Club Forum you can participate in so you can discuss books just like you might at an “in-person” book club meeting. You can also sign up for the AuthorBuzz newsletter. It introduces about 5 new books per week, and usually at least one (but usually more) of the authors has posted a prize giveaway you can enter! I recently won a signed and personalized copy of a book! One of my co-workers won the grand prize which consisted of a gift basket of specialty items from the author’s home state in New England!

HERE'S HOW IT WORKS:

Every day, Monday through Friday, I receive in my email a five-minute selection from a chapter of a book. Since it is in my email inbox, I can read the selection whenever I have a few minutes to spare, whether early in the morning or late in the evening when I’m at home in my PJ’s! By the end of the week, I will have read 2-3 chapters of a book – usually just enough for me to decide whether or not I would be interested in reading the rest of the book. If I’m interested in finishing the book, I just search for it using the Bossier Parish Library online catalog, and usually the book is available for check-out from the library. If the library does not own a copy of the book, then it can easily by found it at another library. All you need to do is submit an interlibrary loan request to have a copy from another library system.

HOW TO SIGN UP:

To sign up for the Dear Reader online book club, go to http://www.bossierlibrary.org/, in the right-hand column and scroll down into you see the "Online Book Clubs" icon (as shown). Click the icon, then just enter your email address and check the boxes beside the genres of any selections you want to receive. You can choose as many as you like. New books are started each Monday. But the best thing of all - you don't need a Bossier Parish Library library card to enjoy this email book club service. It is open to any and all! Happy Reading!


Leslie is an Administrative Assistant for Bossier Parish Library. She has worked for the library (and has been a subscriber to Dear Reader Online Book Club) for a year and half!

No Response to "Have You Checked Out "Dear Reader" Yet?!?"